Reconomy Group is a fast-growing, Private Equity-backed outsourced service business delivering solutions globally across the circular economy, including recycling and waste management, environmental compliance, and online returns. From customer analytics to mobile applications and supplier interfaces, using cutting-edge technology is key to Reconomy’s business and the driving force behind our services.
Working for the UK Recycle Division and reporting to the UK-based Senior Software Development Manager, this is a full-stack, full-lifecycle hands-on development role. This small, fast-paced team played a key role in 2021 Reconomy group winning the Queen’s Award for Innovation, and in 2022, won the CIO 100 award for our digitalXchange supplier integration (API-based) solution.
As the first member of our Romania-based team, you, working with the UK-based team, will own and be responsible for our Portal’s PHP/MySQL development and associated technologies. Initially, you will be tasked with rapidly building your knowledge of these technologies. You will support the transition of bringing the entire support, maintenance and development of Reconomy’s Customer, Supplier and staff-facing PHP-based Portal in-house.
Portal is a key hub for operational data for the Division and is fully integrated into the broader operational systems. There will also be opportunities to work with the broader team and gain exposure to enterprise technologies such as Azure-based I/P/SaaS, Salesforce and MuleSoft IPaaS.
- Own and responsible for the development, support and maintenance of our PHP/MySQL-based bespoke technology stack.
- Working with the Senior Software Development Manager and the Digital Program Manager alongside the broader technology team and product managers to deliver an ambitious and challenging roadmap for our bespoke platforms. Enhancing functionality and usability to draw customer and supplier traffic to our digital channels (e.g., Portal) from our traditional channels (e.g., phone lines, email).
- We are a transactional business; therefore, it is essential we respond to operational issues rapidly. You will occasionally need to support the broader technology team with high priority issue resolution. Where appropriate, you will conduct root cause analysis and feed preventative actions into the software development lifecycle.
- Modernise the SDLC, working closely with the Divisional DevOps and Platform lead to automate and streamline the deployment process.
- Addressing technical debt alongside project delivery, improving existing system quality by identifying issues and common patterns. Continuous improvements of workflow and standard operating procedures.
- Ensuring cybersecurity sits central to all solutions (Secure by design) and any poor practice/substandard methodologies or potential future risks are addressed as business as usual.
- Support the Digital Program Manager with effective testing, both technical and UAT as required
- Ensuring support for application health monitoring is considered upfront in solution design.
- Initial system testing is an essential part of this role, and a key component of this is capturing good requirements through to the testing phase. Given the volume of data, performance is a key consideration in any change. The system performance will be tested and validated where applicable
- The current portal system features numerous APIs that provide interfaces for our own in-house mobile applications and third-party upstream supply-chain fleet management software (digitalxchange). This role will work closely with the UK team to modernise this system and align it with the group standard of MuleSoft.
- As we scale, the successful candidate will have opportunities to recruit and onboard new team members.
Skills and Experience
- Understand and have experience within an Enterprise environment, working with application architecture, development and maintenance best practices.
- You will have experience working within a DevOps enabled environment and proficient in supporting technologies and methodologies such as CI-CD.
- Excellent communication is a must. You will be skilled at conveying technical information in a clear and accessible manner. You will also be comfortable working with non-technical audiences. You will also be adept at information gathering, capturing requirements, and understanding problems. You will have strong written and process documentation skills.
- We are a small and busy team. You will have worked and thrived in this type of environment. You will be comfortable balancing BAU with projects and have developed techniques to manage your workload. You will maintain good situational awareness and be ready to jump on operational issues as they arise.
- You will be comfortable switching from high-level concepts to absolute detail and have excellent attention to detail.
- You will be a lateral thinker, who helps you to effectively solve problems and also architect and design solutions that are scalable, supportable and stand the test of time. You will have excellent troubleshooting, diagnosis, research and resolution skills across multiple technologies.
- You will be commercially minded considering alternative solutions in the context of the use-case. You may recommend workarounds or alternative approaches which achieve the same result for the business but require less/no code.
- Given the technology and environment learning curve, you will be a self-starter, with the ability to learn hands-on.
- Experience working with a work management platform such as Jira, TFS or Azure DevOps and experience or strong knowledge of SCRUM software delivery methodologies.
- Experience working with outsourced providers.
- Computer Science or related degree/qualification